At age 41, as an actress and mom to three young children, Julia Roberts still manages to stay fit and ready for a close-up. She’s a natural beauty, but this busy star also works hard to stay in shape. Her longtime trainer Kathy Kaehler spills the secrets.
“We change her workouts depending on the role. I try to keep it very creative so she doesn’t get bored,” says Kaehler. With the aquatic workouts that Kaehler creates for Julia, boredom isn’t a factor.
Kahler states that Julia uses a flotation belt to work out in the pool at her home in Malibu, where she does cross-country skiing, running and arm exercises in the deep end. She warms up with a few laps of swimming, then wears the flotation belt to run one-minute intervals in the water at slow, moderate and fast speeds, repeating the entire exercise five times.
Why the water activities?
“She needs to look good on-screen, but she also needs the strength and energy to run around after her kids off screen,” Kahler says. “Swimming and water exercises are great ways to build up endurance and stay fit.”
Summer is the perfect time to give this workout a try! Just be sure to wear sunscreen!
Spice up your workout
Julia Robert’s trainer Kathy Kaehler did tell InStyle Magazine how Julia prepared for her role in her latest movie, Duplicty, co-starring Clive Owen. Julia does like to mix up her fitness routines in order to not get bored so she hit her Malibu home swimming pool as well as doing some running, cross-country ski movements and arm exercises. Her trainer said, a person 150 pounds can burn 200 calories in 30 minutes if doing moderate swimming, vigorous swimming can burn up to 330 calories during the same amount of time.
Here are some basic steps that Julia Roberts does to stay in shape for her roles:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle. Julia Roberts maintains a healthy diet in addition to her regular workout. She also has never tried to get herself to an unhealthy level of thinness and instead opts for thin and strong with a healthy glow.
- Hire a personal trainer if possible. Choose one that you can relate to. Julia Roberts trains with Kathy Kaehler who is a woman and mother like her. Workout with Kathy Kaehler in your home by using one of her DVDs.
- Add strength training to your workout routine. This is best done with a personal trainer or you can ask a fitness professional at a local gym to help with form and confirm that you are doing enough. Julia does this with Kaehler mostly using free weights.
- Workout on a treadmill for your cardio activity. This is something Julia Roberts does year-round when she can’t get outside. Include a steep hill when outside or set the treadmill to an uphill climb like Kaehler has Roberts due during her workout.
- Perform pilates on a regular basis. This mixes up your routine when used in conjunction with weights for building and maintaining strength. Take a class once a week or purchase a DVD with a pilates focus.
- Do yoga to stretch out your muscles after all your hard work. Kaehler increases Julia Robert’s cardiovascular activity when close to a special event and yoga balances this effort out.
Get Kathy Kaehlerto train you right here:
|Kathy Kaehler Total Body Workout: 6 Ten Minute Workouts|
|Kathy Kaehler Basics – Workout Class|
|Fit and Sexy For Life: The Hormone-Free Plan for Staying Slim, Strong, and Fabulous in Your Forties, Fifties, and Beyond|